Within an hour…
- Cycle out to Carrigeencor, a swimming lake about five miles away. If the weather is nice, there’s no other place to be!
- Go horse-riding with Island View Riding Stables, who will take you out on a private section of beach to canter into another world.
- Drive to Eagles Flying, a sanctuary for birds of prey and owls. They give flying demonstrations daily at 11am and 3pm.
- Drop in at The Organic Centre, in Rossinver Co Leitrim. The centre has demonstration gardens, tours, willow sculpture, café and shop, as well as courses running throughout the year. North Leitrim itself is stunning with mountains and lakes around every bend.
- Drive out to Sligo, and take in a little shopping, gallery hopping and cafe culture. There is also a cinema and swimming pool in town, for those rainy days with the kids.
- Take in the stunning Beaches of Co. Sligo, with Rosses Point, Streedagh and Strandhill not too far from our door. Surf Lessons are available at Strandhill Surf School.
- Visit Yeats’ Grave, and pay homage to one of the greatest Irish poets. Be sure to stop off at the beautiful tea rooms for refreshments.
- Head north to the Marble Arch Caves, host to one of Europe’s finest showcaves allowing visitors to explore a fascinating, natural underworld of rivers, waterfalls, winding passages and lofty chambers.
- The Cavan Burren is a prehistoric complex at the Burren forest, just outside Blacklion, with a dense concentration of archaeological remains, mainly Neolithic, Bronze Age and early medieval. Well worth a visit.
- The Hawkswell Theatre in Sligo has a great variety of shows to offer, as well as workshops running throughout the year. The Blue Raincoat Theatre is also worth checking out.
- Visit the Glencar Waterfall for a beautiful excursion.
- Explore the Arigna Mines for an insightful and thought provoking trip.
- Drop in for great food at any of the following places:
Lyons Cafe, Quay Street
Le Fournil, Quay Street
Cafe Fleur, O’Connell Street
Osta Cafe& Wine Bar, Garavogue Weir
Hearts Desire, Stephens Street Car Park
Shells on Strandhill Beach
If you do visit any of the local attractions, please be sure to mention you came from Ard Nahoo. Enjoy!